“I wasn’t too sure I wanted to come on the course, but after the first session I am very impressed. It is informative, interesting, and a great asset to anyone. The course is explained in simple terms and easy to digest.”
“It was fantastic because I am now well trained about Advisory Boards, and if I sit on one I will understand what they are doing and saying.”
“Very useful and finally I understood what it really meant to be a member of the advisory board team and what is expected from me.”
Advisory Board Training for Parents
A series of 3 workshops which aim to equip parents with the necessary understanding and skills to sit as Parent Representatives on Children’s Centre Advisory Boards.
Workshop1 – Skills for parent representatives
- To understand what it means to be a parent representative
- To understand formal structures and how to work within these
- Representing other parents
- Who are you speaking for?
- How can you represent more parents?
- Understanding how meetings work
- Understanding agendas
- Meeting etiquette
- The role of the chair
Workshop 2 – Children’s Centres and your Borough: Understanding the Set-Up
- To understand how Children’s Centres work, and what guides them
- To understand the different levels of meetings, and how to participate in these structures effectively
- Overview of the purpose of Children’s Centres and Advisory Boards – Statutory Guidance
- How Children’s Centres are organized in your Borough
- Data and targets
- How do decisions feed up to decision makers
- Your Children’s Centre
Workshop 3 – Presentation Skills and Confidence Building to be Effective in Meetings
- To learn some basic strategies to speak publicly
- To have the opportunity to practice presentation skills
- To build confidence to speak publicly and challenge at meetings
- Speaking in meetings
- Controlling nerves and building confidence
- Making presentations to groups
- Challenging confidently and constructively
Further workshops for parents which support those listed above are also available – for example, Chairing Skills, How to Write a Presentation, etc.
We also offer an Advisory Board training for Headteachers and Governors, and another for Centre Managers. Contact us to discuss your needs.